You Need To Provide Examples Of Your Products/Services
When you file for US trademark registration with the USPTO and your mark personifies a number of products or services, you are going to have to provide examples – in USPTO lingo, “specimens” – of these products and services within three years of registration.
Take, for instance, a company that offers anti-fog and car wax; this company will have to send images to the USPTO that shows these products bearing their trademark. If, on the other hand, a company provides services like massages or chiropractic work, they can provide a website detailing these services with a visible trademark – the more images and videos, the better.
Whether it’s on an image of a product or on a website, your mark needs to look exactly like the mark registered with the USPTO – otherwise, you risk having it rejected.
There Are 2 Types Of Trademark Registers With The USPTO – Principal & Supplemental
US trademark registration can end with you having a principal register or a supplemental register. Here’s the difference:
- Principal Register – This is the primary register of trademarks in the US. This offers the most protection for your mark and yields certain benefits to the person or entity holding the mark.
- Supplemental Register – This is basically a less authoritative (or, secondary) register. Marks tend to end up with supplemental registration because they are not distinctive enough to qualify for the principal register. For instance, brand names that are mere descriptions – “Super Awesome Fun Store” – would not qualify for the principal register.
The USPTO Recognizes 45 Classes Of Goods & Services
These classes include:
- 001 – Chemicals
- 002 – Paints
- 003 – Cleaning Substances
- 004 – Industrial Oils
- 005 – Pharmaceuticals
- 006 – Common Metals
- 007 – Machines
- 008 – Hand Tools
- 009 – Computers and Scientific Devices
- 010 – Medical Supplies
- 011 – Appliances
- 012 – Vehicles
- 013 – Firearms
- 014 – Precious Metals
- 015 – Musical Instruments
- 016 – Paper Goods
- 017 – Rubber Products
- 018 – Leather Goods
- 019 – Building Materials
- 020 – Furniture
- 021 – Household Utensils
- 022 – Ropes and Textile Products
- 023 – Yarns and Threads
- 024 – Textiles
- 025 – Clothing
- 026 – Lace and Embroidery
- 027 – Carpets
- 028 – Games and Sporting Goods
- 029 – Meat, Fish, Poultry
- 030 – Coffee, Flour, Rice
- 031 – Grains, Agriculture
- 032 – Beers and Beverages
- 033 – Alcoholic Beverages
- 034 – Tobacco Products
- 035 – Advertising and Business Services
- 036 – Insurance and Finance Services
- 037 – Construction and Repair Services
- 038 – Telecommunications Services
- 039 – Shipping and Travel Services
- 040 – Material Treatment Services
- 041 – Education and Entertainment Services
- 042 – Science and Technology Services
- 043 – Food Services
- 044 – Medical and Vet Services
- 045 – Legal and Security Services
US Trademark Attorneys At MZJ Can Help With All Of The Ins & Outs, Even If You’re A Non-US Citizen
MZJ has been helping people attain registration for their marks for years now. Whether you’re a US citizen or a foreign citizen who needs trademark registration in the US, we offer the legal knowledge and skill you need for successful registration.
We’ll help you out from start to finish.