Compassionate Attorney for Your Personal Injury Case
Personal injuries and damages can take a toll on your life mentally and financially. Let our personal injury attorneys guide you through the complex legal procedures and get you the appropriate insurance and benefits you deserve. Call our law firm for a consultation regarding your Idaho Falls ID personal injury case today.
You’ve Suffered A Permanent Disability Or Other Serious Injury
The exact nature of the injury is immaterial in these cases.
If you are the victim of any of the following—either through the direct intent or negligence of another party or parties—contact us for a consultation:
- Physical trauma of any kind. It could be the result of a car accident, malfunctioning equipment that wasn’t up to code, or deliberate assault and battery.
- A serious illness as a result of someone’s negligence or deliberate actions.
If the damage involves long-term pain, bills, and on-going care, it is essential that you consult with a personal injury attorney. We can help you out of a situation that could result in lifelong financial stress.
Your Claim Is Being Denied (Or Attempting To Be Denied) By The Insurance Company
Personal injury claims, like most legal claims, involve complicated laws and esoteric language. Insurance companies know this, and they know that most people don’t have the legal knowledge it takes to file a claim effectively. They use this to their advantage.
There is, of course, another tactic that they typically use—delaying or slowing down the submission in the hopes that you’ll just give up.
Our attorneys know our way around these tricks and can help you file an effective claim.
“Peace is more important than all justice; and peace was not made for the sake of justice, but justice for the sake of peace.”
Know Your Rights - Answers To Frequently Asked Questions
A personal injury lawyer in Idaho Falls ID can help with a wide variety of situations:
- Intentional Acts Of Violence—A personal injury lawyer can help in situations involving acts of battery and assault, any instance of someone causing harm to another person, and various other intentional torts (fraud/deceit, defamation, trespassing, etc.).
- Accidents—An Idaho Falls attorney typically gets involved in situations where negligent or careless actions result in harm to another person. Typically these scenarios involve auto accidents, medical malpractice, slip and fall incidents, etc.
- Defective Products—Consumer products, pharmaceuticals, vehicle components, and anything else sold on the market that’s not up to code and results in the harm of an individual falls under the purview of personal injury law. A personal injury lawyer at MZJ can help in these situations.
- Defamation—This can fall under personal injury law if a defamatory statement results in harm to another person.
Legally speaking, a personal injury is harm caused to a person’s body, mind, or emotions as a result of carelessness, negligence, or wrongful conduct (intentional infliction of damage).
That’s a broad definition, and an Idaho Falls ID attorney at MZJ can help with all areas of personal injury law.
Any of the following—as well as anything directly related to the following—fall under the purview of personal injury law in Idaho Falls ID:
- Assault & battery
- False imprisonment & false arrest
- Conversion—when someone “exercises dominion and control” over someone else’s property without their permission
- Intentional infliction of emotional distress
- Defamation—libel & slander
- Intentional tort—something of a “catch all” term for an instance where damage has occurred but the incident does not fit directly into any of the above categories.
- Write down exactly what happened while it’s still fresh in your mind.
- Take images of any injuries you may have.
- Visit a doctor and get a diagnosis.
- List of the witnesses and their contact info if you can.
- Contact an Idaho Falls personal injury lawyer for a consultation.
- You’ve suffered a permanent disability or other serious injury—This could be the result of an accident, a serious illness, or any other event caused (directly or indirectly) by another person or company/corporation.
- You aren’t quite sure who is at fault—This is the perfect opportunity for the other party’s insurance company (and their team of lawyers) to do everything in their power to paint you as the one responsible. An Idaho Falls ID attorney at MZJ can level the playing field and give you the representation you need.
- There are multiple parties involved—Hiring an attorney in this case can ensure that you aren’t the one unjustly reaping all of the consequences.
- The insurance company is delaying or denying your claim—Personal injury claims involve complicated laws and esoteric language, and insurance companies use this to their advantage—they try to confuse you or make you feel powerless to do anything, as well as delay your claim and offer a small fraction of the amount your claim is worth. An Idaho Falls personal injury lawyer gives you legal power in these cases and gets you the compensation you deserve.
HIPAA applies to personal injury claims and thus personal injury attorneys must abide by HIPAA regulations. That said, HIPAA allows disclosure of medical information in accordance with court orders.
If medical information is irrelevant to a claim, HIPAA laws prevent someone from being coerced into revealing it. This applies in Idaho Falls Idaho as well as everywhere else in the US.
An Idaho Falls personal injury lawyer at our law firm can handle your medical records appropriately during your case in strict accordance with HIPAA laws. We can give you more information on this in your initial consultation.
First and foremost, any Idaho Falls Idaho personal injury lawyer has an obligation to keep your medical information protected. We take appropriate steps to protect your medical records from unauthorized disclosure.
We secure Protected Health Information in accordance with 45 CFR § 160.103.
We set out plans for security risk analysis to ensure that only those who need the information have access to it.
Rules Of Professional Conduct also overlap with HIPAA when it comes to confidential medical information—if it does not pertain to your case, it remains private, and we release it only with your informed consent.
According to the IRS:
Settlement payments for physical injuries are non-taxable if you did not take an itemized deduction for medical expenses related to the injury in prior years—if portions of the settlement payment were used for medical expenses in prior years, you must include it in income. You can find more information on this here. Of course, an Idaho Falls personal injury attorney at MZJ can also help if you have questions.
Your personal injury settlement is “exempt”, meaning that a creditor can’t take it from you via bank garnishments. If you declare bankruptcy, you can also keep your entire settlement.
That said, there are a few steps you need to take in order to ensure this protection is in place—this is one of the most important practice areas when it comes to protecting your money.
Make sure the settlement money is kept separate from any of your other wages. Keep the money in a separate savings account. Another option is to deposit your settlement money on a prepaid debit card—this should be done ASAP if you have any judgements against you.
MZJ has the attorneys Idaho residents need to help decide on the best course of action. Contact a personal injury attorney at MZJ today.
Yes, “personal injury” can apply to mental/emotional trauma and suffering and you are entitled to pursue compensation for this form of damage.
It is common for people involved in car accidents, assaults, and similar situations to suffer long-lasting mental and emotional disorders as a result. These include:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Major depressive disorder (MDD)
These can be direct results (such as a traumatic brain injury causing major depression) or indirect results (a natural change in mood, thinking, and behavior) of the incident.
These kinds of injuries can be diagnosed by a psychologist who can give testimony in court for validation. This is a course of action our Idaho Falls personal injury attorneys can take in order to get you additional compensation for personal injury. An attorney at our office can give you a consultation regarding this matter—call us or fill out a contact form for more information.
Even if you are the at-fault party, it is still possible to file an injury claim (provided you have the coverage for it). This depends on a lot of factors—what your insurance covers, the circumstances of the accident, etc.
If you were involved in an accident and you’re the at-fault party, an Idaho Falls personal injury attorney at MZJ may be able to help.
If your claim is settled privately, the results will not be a matter of public record. However, if you file a lawsuit and a judge decides on your case, it will be, meaning everything that everything involved in the court that went into reaching the conclusion will be made public, including victim injuries, arguments from both sides, and the final verdict amount. This goes for personal injury law as well as most other legal practice areas.
Insurance companies as well as claimants typically prefer to settle personal injury claims outside of court, as this is not only less stressful and expensive, but also allows for flexibility.
In either case, representation from an Idaho Falls personal injury attorney can help you get the most out of the situation.
Personal injury lawyers help with all areas of personal injury in the legal field. At our law firm, we specialize in a wide variety of practice areas—our personal injury lawyers are well-versed in this area of law.
Fill out a contact form or give us a call for a consultation—our personal injury lawyers are happy to help!
Ask Us Anything. anytime.
We offer consultations—let’s get in touch!